For a downloadable version of the Activity Guide, click here!
Click here for this week’s challenge!
Click here for this week’s bonus game!
This Empower Session takes a close look at the importance of time management. Have you felt like time is zooming by or dragging on while social distancing? Or maybe the days and weeks are blending together? Whatever you are feeling is completely okay. With good time management, you can be sure to make your time meaningful.
Here are a few tips that will help us all manage our time:
- Set a Time Limit – Set a definite time limit, such as an hour or two. Then try to finish the task within the allotted time, and feel the excitement as you do it.
- Have a To-Do List – A list keeps you focused and motivated. Focus on feeling that sweet satisfaction every time you tick off a task from your list.
- Plan Ahead – When you know exactly what needs to get done for the day or week, you’ll stay organized and focused.
Managing our time allows us to accomplish more in a shorter period of time, which leads to more free time, which lets you take advantage of learning opportunities.
This lesson can be completed in 10 minutes.
Time management- the ability to use one’s time effectively or productively, especially at work, school or at home.
Benefits of effective time management
In the video, we shared a few tips on how to manage our time. Below, you will find a few of the benefits that come from successful time management:
- Deliver work on time — When you set time limits for your tasks, your brain gets rewired to follow the deadline and accomplish those activities within the desired time-frame. Then, you can easily deliver work on time if you have managed your time well.
- Provide a better quality of work — Deciding on priorities helps you focus your energy on important tasks. When you focus, you will see the quality of your work improve.
- More time for fun — With good time management, you get more free time in your day to do fun things that make you happy. Ultimately this helps you to create the perfect balance by working smart all day and having a reward of your choice in return.
There are many reasons why managing our time can help us succeed. Keep these benefits in mind the next time that you have a list of tasks to accomplish.
Activity overview — Testing your time
The goal of this game is to open your eyes when you think that 25 seconds have gone by.
You’ll check the clock to see if you’re good at measuring how much time has passed or if you need more practice.
This activity is just intended to show you that time management is tough! It can be difficult to feel how time is passing and that’s why it’s important to come up with a schedule for managing time that works for you!
How far off were you from 25 seconds? Challenge family members/friends to do the same. See if they open their eyes at the 25 second mark!
If you are playing alone, you will need to pull up the Empower Session video so that Coach Eugene can time you. If you found a friend or family member to play with, one of you will need a timer.
Activity overview — Play your day
The goal of the activity is to create your own planner. Having a planner allows you to schedule each event, appointment, errand, and task, so that you know what to expect and don’t run out of time.
First, grab a writing utensil and some paper. You’re going to fold your paper in half to organize your space, then you’ll write the day of the week at the top of each section.
You’re going to include a spot for an agenda for the day. Then you will add a spot for your top three to do’s.
There is more than one way to create a planner. You can customize your planner to fit your needs! You can make separate sections for school work and chores. Or add a spot to list your physical activity for each day. Make it your own and then just be sure to keep it somewhere you’ll see it every day!
Bonus activities — Water bottle flip challenge
The goal of this activity is to see how many times you can flip the water bottle onto the table in just one minute.
If you use your writing hand, you get one point per flip. But if you use your other hand, you get three points per flip.
You’ll have to decide how to use your minute- are you going to use your writing hand to get the most 1 point flips or are you going to use your time to try to rack up three point flips with your non-dominant hand?
One great thing to include in your schedule every day is physical activity! Chicago Run has lots of ideas for activities to get you active while at home. Check them out here!
If you like to dance to get your heart beating, try out this fun exercise!